23 January 2022 will mark the 125th birth anniversary of Indian freedom fighter Subhas Chandra Bose. It is expected that many institutions, organisations, groups, and individuals will take part in the commemoration and celebration of the 125th birth anniversary. Very recently the Government of India announced that they would set up a “high-level panel” to plan the commemoration of Bose’s 125th birth anniversary.
West Bengal Wikimedians is a Wikimedia user group (affiliate) from West Bengal, India, aiming to build a strong and diverse volunteer community base throughout and around the state. The user group conducts regular activities to improve freely-licensed high-quality content on Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata, Wikisource, and other Wikimedia projects. The user group also has experience in conducting national-level events such as Wiki Loves Monuments India (2020, 2019, 2018). In the past, the user group has conducted Wiki-events to celebrate notable anniversaries or the contribution of eminent personalities. In August–September 2020, we conducted a Wikisource proofreading contest to commemorate the 200th birth anniversary of Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar. We also conduct an annual 3-month-long Wikisource proofreading contest to celebrate the literary works of Rabindranath Tagore. Similarly, on Wikidata, we manage and work on a WikiProject Rabindranath Tagore to improve data related to the poet’s works.
Qadam Qadam Badhaye Ja…
West Bengal Wikimedians has decided to continue this practice and starting from 23 January 2021, we’ll conduct a few Wiki-activities throughout the year to celebrate the birth anniversary occasion. The exact event plans or the dates have not been decided yet. However, the broad objective is to improve freely licensed content (text, image, data etc.) on the Wikimedia projects. Some of the tasks we wish to undertake in 2021–2022 are: (note these are initial plans, and the plans may change, or be modified)
- Structured data improvement on Wikidata: We’ll work to improve content related to Subhas Chandra Bose and his life on Wikidata. This work will continue throughout 2021.
- Photo-documentation: We would like to visit at least 1 museum/cultural centre related to Bose and upload relevant audio-visual content on Wikimedia Commons.
- Wikisource proofread contest: We’ll conduct a Wikisource proofread contest to improve the literary works of Bose. This Wikisource contest will most probably take place in December 2021 or January 2022.
- Wikipedia article improvement: With community involvement, we would like to improve the Bengali Wikipedia article Subhas Chandra Bose, and if possible a couple of related articles as well.
- Pronunciation project on Wikimedia Commons: We have plans to upload Bengali pronunciation of names of people, places, literary works, etc associated with Subhas Chandra Bose. This work will most likely be completed in the first six months of 2021.
- More plans may be added.
Collaboration is welcome: We, the members of West Bengal Wikimedians, are excited about this plan. We are committed to delivering our best to make the project as successful (fruitful) as possible. Most importantly, we are open to collaboration. If you, as an individual, or as a representative of a user group/affiliate want to work with us on this plan, please let us know. We believe the collaboration will make the 125th birth anniversary celebration of Subhas Chandra Bose better on Wikimedia.