Other language: Nederlands • español • français • isiZulu • italiano • magyar • polski • português do Brasil • suomi • svenska • čeština • русский • українська • עברית • العربية • বাংলা • 中文 • 日本語 • 한국어
Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please tell other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
- IPv6 addresses were written in lowercase letters in diffs. This caused dead links since Special:Contributions only accepted uppercase letters for the IPs. This has been fixed. 
Changes later this week
- You can soon use Wikidata to link to pages on the multilingual Wikisource. 
- Often editors use a “non-breaking space” to make a gap between two items when reading but still show them together. This can be used to avoid a line break. You will now be able to add new ones via the special character tool in the 2010, 2017, and visual editors. The character will be shown in the visual editor as a space with a grey background. 
- Wikis use abuse filters to stop bad edits being made. Filter maintainers can now use syntax like
188.8.131.52 - 184.108.40.206as well as the
220.127.116.11/27syntax for IP ranges. 
- The new version of MediaWiki will be on test wikis and MediaWiki.org from 2 February. It will be on non-Wikipedia wikis and some Wikipedias from 3 February. It will be on all wikis from 4 February (calendar).
- Minerva is the skin Wikimedia wikis use for mobile traffic. When a page is protected and you can’t edit it you can normally read the source wikicode. This doesn’t work on Minerva on mobile devices. This is being fixed. Some text might overlap. This is because your community needs to update MediaWiki:Protectedpagetext to work on mobile. You can read more. 
- Cloud VPS and Toolforge will change the IP address they use to contact the wikis. The new IP address will be
18.104.22.168. This will happen on February 8. You can read more.
Tech news prepared by Tech News writers and posted by bot • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.
Can you help us translate this article?
In order for this article to reach as many people as possible we would like your help. Can you translate this article to get the message out?Start translation