- Extension management platform – Creating an awesome extension management platform for MediaWiki, facilitating the installation, updating, removal and configuration of extensions. Student: Jeroen De Dauw, Mentor: Brion Vibber
- Improve metadata support – Improve metadata support for uploaded media in MediaWiki by displaying embedded IPTC and XMP metadata. Student: Brian Wolff, Mentor: Chad Horohoe
- General RDF export/import in Semantic MediaWiki – Extend the import/export functionality of Semantic MediaWiki (SMW) to allow also full, general RDF import. Student: Samuel Lampa, Mentor: Denny Vrandecic.
- Wikisource Legal Tool – Creating a tool to format judicial decisions, legal scholarship, and statutes for Wikisource. Student: Stephen LaPorte Mentor: Ariel Glenn
- Reasonably efficient interwiki template transclusion – allow MediaWiki users to insert (transclude) templates from a wiki to another on Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) wikis (Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, etc.). Student: Peter Potrowl, Mentor: Roan Kattouw
More detailed information on all of these projects can be found on our GSoC 2010 projects page. Also, Wikipedia Signpost is highlighting this work over the coming weeks, starting with a summary of Brian Wolff’s XMP metadata project.
Though not all projects were finished completely as specified, all were completed to a sufficient degree that we felt very comfortable passing all of the students, and all of the students produced code we’re very happy to have. Note that there is no guarantee that anything here will get beyond the proof-of-concept stage. However, we’re hopeful that much of this work will find broader adoption, and we’re looking forward to that.
We hope that all of the students stick around as MediaWiki contributors long after the summer is over. Please join us in thanking them for their participation this year!