Diff is a blog by and for the Wikimedia volunteer community to connect and share learnings, stories, and ideas from across the movement. It is hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation and managed by the Movement Communications team.
Where did Diff come from?
The name “Diff” is in reference to the MediaWiki interface that displays the difference between one version and another of a Wikipedia page. It also reflects the “difference” our communities and movement make in the world every day.
Diff builds on the experiences of the Wikimedia Blog and Wikimedia Space, and includes their news archives.
Can I publish something on Diff?
Yes! All contributors to the Wikimedia movement are welcome to submit an article. Diff has a simple and accessible editorial process, to encourage participation from all — especially under-represented communities. Additionally, content on Diff can be written and translated in multiple languages. You can learn more about the editorial process and checklist for publishing.
Diff’s scope is relatively broad, focusing on hosting content about the Wikimedia movement, for the Wikimedia movement. Some examples:
- News produced by committees, affiliates, and other community groups
- Interesting Wikimedia stories and discussions
- Links to relevant Wikimedia content published on other channels
- News about Wikimedia partners, the ecosystem of free knowledge and other current events that are connected with the Wikimedia movement and targeted to Wikimedia contributors
- Announcements, requests for feedback, reports, newsletters, and other movement-relevant content produced by the Wikimedia Foundation or community groups for community audiences
Posts with an unclear impact on the Wikimedia movement is out of scope. Diff’s editorial guidelines provide more detail about acceptable content.
How do I get started?
First you’ll need to authenticate with your Wikimedia account (use the “Login with MediaWiki” button). Then you can start a draft and, when you’re ready,, when you’re ready, submit it for review. The Movement Communications team will review and discuss scheduling publication with you. Take a look at the editorial guidelines and publishing checklist for more detailed information.
I have a question
Diff is supported by the Movement Communications team at the Wikimedia Foundation. You can leave a note on the Diff project talk page on Meta or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Bug reports and feature requests can be made on Phabricator. Please add the #diff-blog tag when creating new tasks.