Other languages: Bahasa Indonesia, Deutsch, English, français, italiano, norsk bokmål, polski, português, português do Brasil, suomi, svenska, čeština, русский, українська, עברית, العربية, हिन्दी, বাংলা, ไทย, 中文, 日本語
Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please tell other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
oauth_consumervariable has been added to the AbuseFilter to enable identifying changes made by specific tools. 
- Gadgets are now able to directly include JSON pages. This means some gadgets can now be configured by administrators without needing the interface administrator permission, such as with the Geonotice gadget. 
- Gadgets can now specify page actions on which they are available. For example,
|actions=edit,historywill load a gadget only while editing and on history pages. 
- Gadgets can now be loaded on demand with the
withgadgetURL parameter. This can be used to replace an earlier snippet that typically looks like
- At wikis where the Mentorship system is configured, you can now use the Action API to get a list of a mentor’s mentees. 
- The heading on the main page can now be configured using MediaWiki:Mainpage-title-loggedin for logged-in users and MediaWiki:Mainpage-title for logged-out users. Any CSS that was previously used to hide the heading should be removed.  
- Four special pages (and their API counterparts) now have a maximum database query execution time of 30 seconds. These special pages are: RecentChanges, Watchlist, Contributions, and Log. This change will help with site performance and stability. You can read more details about this change including some possible solutions if this affects your workflows. 
- The sticky header has been deployed for 50% of logged-in users on more than 10 wikis. This is part of the Desktop Improvements. See how to take part in the project.
Changes later this week
- The new version of MediaWiki will be on test wikis and MediaWiki.org from 11 January. It will be on non-Wikipedia wikis and some Wikipedias from 12 January. It will be on all wikis from 13 January (calendar).
- Community Wishlist Survey 2022 begins. All contributors to the Wikimedia projects can propose for tools and platform improvements. The proposal phase takes place from 10 January 18:00 UTC to 23 January 18:00 UTC. Learn more.
Tech news prepared by Tech News writers and posted by bot • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.
Can you help us translate this article?
In order for this article to reach as many people as possible we would like your help. Can you translate this article to get the message out?Start translation