In this post, I quote some Diff posts which were published from 17 September 2023 to 23 September 2023.
Reports of Wikimania 2023
In a post “What is a Wikimedian life without a first Wikimania!,” Nada kareem22 from Gaza introduced their experiences at Wikimania 2023 held in Singapore.
Wikimania was the place to discover the hidden gems in our movement. It also joined me with friends whom I have known online for years. I have got to make new ones too. I talked about Gaza a lot instead of providing a Wiki link. And finally, I attended a Wiki wedding. Nassima and Yamen are married in the eyes of Wikidata. I was the lucky girl to get the wedding bouquet, and yes I still have it.
Nanour, Nassima, Yamen, Manar, Jan-Bart, Chinmayee, Beverly, Domenika, Florence, Euphemia, Sky ex, and many more. Thank you for making my first Wikimania a great one.
Pause here and play my journey to attend Wikimania over and over again; it makes me happy. On the other hand, I will go to finish the Gardens by the Bay puzzle, my souvenir from Singapore.Nada kareem22 (20 September 2023) “What is a Wikimedian life without a first Wikimania!” Diff.
Janbery from Czech also introduced their experiences at Wikimania 2023 and recommended some great presentations which we can watch on YouTube in a post “I was the only Czech at Wikimania 2023 in Singapore. How was it?“
This year’s Wikimania was a hybrid event, most of the talks were broadcasted live. Recordings are available, and the list below presents a selection of three talks that are definitely worth watching.
Janbery (18 September 2023) “I was the only Czech at Wikimania 2023 in Singapore. How was it?” Diff.
- An overview of the research work focusing on Wikipedia was presented in the State of Wikimedia Research 2022-2023 talk. In just one hour, various research papers on artificial intelligence, misinformation, and other topics were shown.
- Patrollers (editors who monitor the recent changes on Wikipedia and remove vandal edits) will be interested in the lecture and discussion Supporting moderators at the Wikimedia Foundation. In this session, various WMF teams presented their work. In particular, newcomers, automatic moderation of edits using artificial intelligence, and improvements to the mobile app for patrol were discussed.
- The discussion was also sparked by The Case for NC Commons presentation – what would it be like if we allowed non-commercial images on Wikipedia? Is it only our rules that prevent this, or are there legal constraints as well?
Did you know WikiCelebrate? It is a project to celebrate extraordinary Wikimedians every month. In a post “Hygrometer, snails and global database: meet a celebrated Wikimedian from the CEE region!,” Natalia Szafran-Kozakowska introduced Pinky sl, the winner for September 2023!
For her, Wikimedia is a constant learning experience. Whether it is from other contributors or from tutorials and help pages, she keeps finding new and better ways to contribute. “It’s a continuous learning process that takes time and I believe that with dedication and the support of the Wikimedia community, anyone can improve their technical skills and contribute effectively”, she says.
Her motivation comes from the Wikimedia mission and the bold dream of compiling the entirety of human knowledge into a single, accessible database. “Knowledge has never been so easily accessible to so many people, and it’s this collective goal that keeps me inspired and driven to continue my contributions”. – she says.Natalia Szafran-Kozakowska (18 September 2023) “Hygrometer, snails and global database: meet a celebrated Wikimedian from the CEE region!” Diff.
In a post “Wikimedia Indonesia’s 2023–2027 Strategic Plan is now available,” Rachmat WMID introduced the 2023–2027 strategic plan of Wikimedia Indonesia.
Rachmat WMID (20 September 2023) “Wikimedia Indonesia’s 2023–2027 Strategic Plan is now available” Diff.
- Expanding access to knowledge: One of the central missions of the Wikimedia movement is to make knowledge accessible to all. We aim to break down barriers to access by improving the availability of content in the Indonesian language and local languages, such as Minangkabau, Banjarese, and Gorontalo. This includes increasing the number of Wikipedia articles, multimedia resources on Wikimedia Commons, and Wikidata items.
- Strengthening community engagement: Our strategic plan stresses the importance of caring for and growing our Wikimedia communities in Indonesia. This means helping out our community members and ensuring everyone feels welcome and supported in our environment.
- Understanding public needs: In this direction, we aim to engage more closely with existing partners who have been working with us since their early days by conducting targeted research on public needs. We are also working to learn more about audience preferences by providing multiple forms of social media content to enable more people to connect with our organization and participate in our programs.
- Advancing education and outreach: We are committed to collaborating with educational institutions, libraries, and other GLAM organizations to promote the use of Wikimedia projects in education and the cultural sector. This includes training educators, students, and the public on effectively using and contributing to Wikimedia platforms.
- Advocating for open knowledge: Wikimedia Indonesia will actively promote practices championing open knowledge and free access to information. This effort entails socializing and collaborating with policymakers, stakeholders, and the public to highlight the significance of open knowledge accessibility.
- Strengthening organizational resilience: Wikimedia Indonesia has established organizational structures and governance to grow in management and internal capacity over the past few years. We look to provide opportunities for our staff to develop themselves and unlock other funding streams.
First of all, I thank my friend Caner (User:Kurmanbek), who created a fantastic logo for Diffquote. I’m really happy to collaborate with such a talented designer and Wikimedian under the Wikimedia Japan-Türkiye Friendship project. Of course, I also thank all the contributors, organizers, and readers of Diff. It’s a great pleasure for me to know Wikimedia Movement around the world through Diff.
Can you help us translate this article?
In order for this article to reach as many people as possible we would like your help. Can you translate this article to get the message out?Start translation