The English Wikipedia’s five millionth article was reached this month, covering a rare Australian shrub. Photo by Russell Cumming, freely licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.
The English Wikipedia this month became the first language edition of Wikipedia to break the five-million article barrier, almost three and a half years after reaching four million. Persoonia terminalis, a rare shrub native to some parts of eastern Australia declared as such by botanists in 1991, took the accolade following a quite intense period of deliberation among volunteers.
With the publication of an article about redox indictors on November 13, the Ukrainian Wikipedia reached its 600,000th article. It remains the third-largest Slavic-language Wikipedia by quantity, only behind the Russian and Polish projects. “Congratulations, colleagues,” wrote Alex Kushnir of the article, created by chemist Олег.Н, who has been an editor of the project for almost four years.
It was also a good month, statistically, for the English Wikipedia—it surpassed 800 million total page edits, or just over 100 per minute since the site’s launch in 2001. The Arabic Wikipedia hit 20 million edits this month, as Polish Wikisource reached its first million.
- November 1
- The English Wikipedia has reached 5,000,000 articles.
- The Nepali Wiktionary has reached 200 entries.
- The Arabic Wikipedia has reached 20,000,000 page edits.
- The Azerbaijani Wikipedia has reached 100,000 registered users.
- The Slovenian Wikiquote has reached 2,000 content pages.
- The Tamil Wikipedia has reached 80,000 articles.
- The Asturian Wikipedia has reached 40,000 articles, as a bot has been creating thousands of stubs about life forms.
- The Azerbaijani Wiktionary has reached 40,000 entries.
- The Hausa Wiktionary has reached 100 entries.
- The Bengali Wikipedia has reached 100,000 registered users.
- The Ukrainian Wikipedia has reached 600,000 articles.
- The Urdu Wikipedia has reached 90,000 articles.
- The Polish Wikisource has reached 1,000,000 page edits.
- The Bengali Wikibooks has reached 200 book modules.
- The Bengali Wikibooks has reached 10,000 page edits.
- The Hungarian Wikibooks has reached 20,000 book modules.
- The Icelandic Wikipedia has reached 40,000 articles.
- The English Wikipedia has reached 800,000,000 page edits.
- The Manx Wikipedia has reached 10,000 registered users.
- The Armenian Wiktionary has reached 100,000 entries.
- The Kongo Wikipedia has reached 1,000 articles.
- The Azerbaijani Wikibooks has reached 1,000 book modules.
- The Hausa Wiktionary has reached 200 entries.
- The Tajik Wiktionary has reached 10,000 entries.
- The Wikimedia’s Meta-Wiki has reached 10,000,000 registered users.
- The Min Nan Wikipedia has reached 90,000 articles.